Giovanni Granato is a post-doc researcher at the Laboratory of Embodied Natural and Artificial Intelligence (LENAI), belonging to the Institute of Cognitive Sciences and Technologies (ISTC) at the National Research Council (CNR). At the LENAI, Giovanni is coordinator of a research line in "Computational Neuropsychology", with a focus on "Neurocognitive processes and computational principles underlying human flexible cognition and behaviour".
Training and work experience: Giovanni is a Computational Neuropsychologist trained in Cognitive Sciences, Neuroscience, Machine Learning, Computational Modeling. In particular, he obtained a BA degree in "Cognitive Sciences" at the "University of Florence'' (thesis in Theoretical Neuroscience) and a MA degree in "Cognitive Neuroscience" at the “University of Rome La sapienza" (thesis in Theoretical and Computational Neuroscience). He also obtained a certificate from the “Advanced School in Artificial Intelligence” (AS-AI) with a project in Computational Neuropsychology. At last, he obtained an international PhD in "Computer Sciences" (thesis in Computational Neuroscience/Neuropsychology) at the University of Plymouth (UK) and the National Research Council of Rome.
Research achievements: Giovanni has published in peer-reviewed journals and international conferences. He also supervised master's thesis and AS-AI projects. Finally, he worked as a “scientific consultant” and “teacher specialized in Educational Robotics” for for external research and company collaborations.
- Granato, G., Borghi, A. M., Mattera, A., & Baldassarre, G. (2022). A computational model of inner speech supporting flexible goal-directed behaviour in Autism. Scientific reports, 12(1), 1-15.
- Granato G, Cartoni E, Da Rold F, Mattera A, Baldassarre G (2022) Integrating unsupervised and reinforcement learning in human categorical perception: A computational model. PLoS ONE 17(5): e0267838.
- Baldassarre, G., & Granato, G. (2021). A Neuro-Computational Theory of Consciousness based on the Internal Manipulation of Representations. Psychological Review. Under revision.
- Granato, G., & Baldassarre, G. (2021). Internal manipulation of perceptual representations in human flexible cognition: A computational model. Neural Networks, 143, 572-594.
- Granato, G., Borghi, A. M., & Baldassarre, G. (2020). A computational model of language functions in flexible goal-directed behaviour. Scientific reports, 10(1), 1-13.
- Baldassarre, G., & Granato, G. (2020). Goal-Directed Manipulation of Internal Representations Is the Core of General-Domain Intelligence. Journal of Artificial General Intelligence, 11(2), 19-23.